I cast on 105 sts to do a basic diamond pattern instead of stockinette. For the trim, I did a simple crochet picot. I LOVE how this came out! It wasn’t quite a perfect square with the yarn I had, so in retrospect, I wish I had done one less horizontal pattern repeat (97 sts) and then continued for one more full vertical repeat.
I’m really glad I did a diamond pattern instead of endless stockinette. It moved the project along so much faster, and looks fantastic. The crochet trim was also far easier than picking up all of the stitches for a ribbed border as suggested in the pattern. All in all, I am quite pleased with it, and I used every scrap of leftover yarn from my sweater.