A FFO! (finally finished object)
So this was supposed to be a Saturday in the Park Perfect Dress. I used size 4 needles and spent countless hours on it, doing all my math, washing my gauge swatch, trying it on, etc. And yet, and yet, somehow I wound up with a monstrosity. A dress for a giantess that hung a full 10 inches past my knees, with a neckline closer to my belly button than my chin.
What came next? I cut the dress, and painstakingly picked it apart into two separate pieces. This mock cable stitch did NOT come undone easily. I then realized it was STILL too big, so I cut and picked again, then worked a couple rows decreases before casting off. I did a herringbone stitch inside the top for an elastic casing. I wish I could have done a proper hem at the top, but the bulk would have been too much.
I now have a roughly knee length skirt, and a ton of yarn from the top half that I plan to unravel and make into a new top. I think I like this look the best otherwise, with a shirt on the outside of the waistband.
So, again this was a knitting lesson for the ages. I knew it was too big. In fact, I had ripped out about 20 hours of work on it early into the project to try to get a better fit. I knew pretty much no one was happy with how their dress turned out. I knew knit dresses in general were a huge fit/drape/fashion challenge. More photos here. The details and painful WIP journey are recorded on the Ravelry Project Page.