I finally finished this CHRISTMAS 2007 gift for my sweet husband. We are both very pleased with how it came out. The pattern took some tinkering to accommodate the size we wanted and the yarn I bought. It was easy to modify and a good experience in doing a pullover bottom up with a circular yoke. I used Russian joins for all yarn changes.
Needles: Size 7 DPNs and circulars
Yarn: Queensland Collection Kathmandu Aran (10 balls)
Color: 129 (dark blue)
85% merino wool/10% silk/5% cashmere
Size: 39 1/2″
Modifications: I cast on 10% less stitches for the body, and 20% less for the sleeves. I kept the decrease and short rows in proportion to my new stitch count. I bound off with size 9 needles for a more comfortable neck opening.
The yarn is SO soft – and knits up beautifully. There is some vegetation in the yarn, but not enough to compromise the quality. The color hardly bled at all in the first washing. We wanted the fit to be more slim than many of the finished Cobblestones I have seen around online and I feel that I only partially succeeded in that sense. This was a good project with some annoyances. The first was when I cast on the recommended stitches and it was HUGE. And then again when the sleeves were turning out HUGE. I have a big problem in making gauge swatches. I make the swatches, I have an easy to use reader, and I still somehow mess it up. I nearly always make things too big. Maybe it’s a subconscious fear of having an item too small, or not having a real understanding of the human body. After blocking, the sweater grew by a few inches, in the sleeves and in the body. It’s okay, but the next time I wash it I will take care to gently shape it better.
With no further ado, onto the photos!! As always, for more pictures, check out my flickr account.